Monday, October 29, 2012

wasted words on lower cases and bigger ones

Due to being inside for the last three days, I’ve had more than enough time to mull over the fact that one of my keyboard keys is broken.

Kind of like teeth, not every keyboard key is equally crucial. I'd say I lost the second to last molar of my keyboard. I lost a letter that is used frequently enough that it isn’t a Z or an X by any means, but it’s even less of an E or a T. I miss it, just as I’m sure I’d sorely miss that second to last molar, but I’m no Danny Brown. I’m learning to deal.

Yes, there are things I could do. I could Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V, or I could reassign the letter to some virgin key just waiting to become a sudden necessity. You’d like that, [, wouldn’t you? I’d like to do it for you. Like Naughty By Nature, I’m down with Other Individual’s Genitalia. Maybe I will one day. But for now, I’m kind of enjoying the weird challenge of refraining from using the letter in question.

In my emails, on my wall, and everywhere else I make my incessantly lame internet existence known, I’ve been trying to do without. I like to think that it’s causing my brain to remain on the ball in the face of a totally trivial adversity. And the result is somewhere between me sounding overly scholarly and like English is my second language. Like a mysterious individual. One that I might even like were I to meet them!

So I guess my thesis is this: there are things that we think are necessary in life. Like deodorant. Or chairs. But are they really? If they were to vanish suddenly, would we find better things to stick under our arms? Would we find better devices on which to sit? Could writing without using a letter become my thing? Like not cursing on his tracks was Will Smith’s thing? Or like celibacy was Morrisey and then also Rivers Cuomo’s thing? (Sadly, music always gets weird when there’s celibacy involved.)

Would anyone even notice?

No comments: